Tuesday marked a historic day in the world of cricket, with Australia’s all-rounder, Glenn Maxwell, creating a remarkable spectacle. He delivered an astonishing unbeaten innings of 201 runs against Afghanistan in a World Cup 2023 match. His exceptional performance not only rewrote the record books but also propelled Australia to a miraculous victory. He is securing their spot in the tournament’s semi-finals. Maxwell’s unbeaten 201 runs were scored in just 128 balls, including 21 fours and 10 sixes, at an impressive strike rate of over 157. This monumental achievement added new milestones to his illustrious cricketing career.
Glenn Maxwell’s List of all Record-Breaking Feat
– Australia witnessed its first-ever ODI double century, marking the 11th instance in 50-over cricket history. Glenn Maxwell surpassed Shane Watson’s 185* against Bangladesh in 2011.
– This astounding feat stands as the highest individual score in an ODI run-chase, eclipsing Fakhar Zaman’s 193 against South Africa in 2021.
– Maxwell’s 201* now reigns as the highest score by a non-opener in ODI cricket history, surpassing Zimbabwe’s Charles Coventry’s 194 against Bangladesh in 2009.
– His double ton becomes the third instance of a double hundred in ODI Cricket World Cups, following Chris Gayle (215 against Zimbabwe in 2015) and Martin Guptill (237 against West Indies in 2015).
– Maxwell and skipper Pat Cummins (12*) forged a 202-run partnership, setting a new ODI record for the highest partnership for the seventh wicket or below, surpassing the 177-run stand between Jos Buttler and Adil Rashid in 2015.
– Achieving his double ton in 128 balls, Maxwell boasts the second-fastest double century in ODIs. India’s Ishan Kishan holds the record, accomplishing it in just 126 balls against Bangladesh.
– With 10 sixes in the match, Maxwell now holds the third position for the most WC sixes, tallying 33. Rohit Sharma (45) and Chris Gayle (49) top the list.
Virat Kohli Applauds Glenn Maxwell’s Record-Breaking Innings with High Praise
Glenn Maxwell’s extraordinary performance in cricket history received high praise from none other than Virat Kohli. He sent a heartfelt message, “Only you could do this. 🤯” along with a “🐐” emoji. Kohli’s Instagram story celebrated Maxwell’s exceptional innings, highlighting the incredible achievement that left the cricketing world in awe.
Instagram story by Virat Kohli for Glenn Maxwell.
– The 🐐 innings….!!!!! pic.twitter.com/14SAuwLnvh
— Johns. (@CricCrazyJohns) November 8, 2023