Equations are a big part of Algebra that is introduced in Class 6 maths syllabus. Algebraic equations are statements of the equality of two expressions formulated by applying to a set of variables the algebraic operations- addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, raining to a power and extraction of a root.
In simple words, these equations can be defined as a mathematical statement in which two expressions are set equal to each other.
For example, x – 2 = 4
The equation says left side i.e. (x – 2) is equal to the right side i.e. (4)
Often the problems or questions on algebra asks to find the value these variables, in this case the variable is x. When we put 6 in place of x we get: 6 – 2 = 4, which makes the equation true. So, x is 6.
Algebra is all about such equations, it helps in critical and logical thinking and helps in solving problems both on paper and in real-life situations. Algebra in class 6 maths is a stepping stone for other classes and subjects. Most subjects and further classes require the basic understanding of Algebra.
Moreover, many students struggle with Algebra. They often do not understand the concept of Algebra and try to memorise the equations. But each equation is different and require critical and logical thinking for solving. As a result, many students score less or tend to skip the questions with Algebraic equations. However, Algebra is also one of the most crucial and marks-scoring chapters in class 6 maths syllabus.
Here are some tips to ace at algebra:
- There are some basic concepts that are covered in Algebra for class 6 such as: Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and then there are some new additions-variables, constants, order of operations. Before beginning with algebra, students should be clear with basic arithmetic.
- Always remember PEMDAS: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. Students can memorize this rule for solving equations by the mnemonic “Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally”.
- Negative number are not that negative: They look complex and sometimes frightening but they are actually pretty simple. Just remember the basic operations of negative numbers i.e., adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing two negative number and a positive and negative number.
- When numbers have the same sign, add them and keep the original sign.
- When numbers have different signs, add them and keep the sign of the “larger” number, or the number with the greatest distance from zero.
- A negative divided by a negative is a positive.
- A negative multiplied by a positive is a negative.
- Always write and show all the steps while solving algebra problems, it is time consuming but also helpful in identifying any mistakes.
- Don’t be afraid of x, y, z i.e., the variables. They are just used in place of things that we have to find. Just take one variable at a time.
For more information on Algebra for class 6 maths and NCERT solutions for class 6 maths check out Learnflix, educational app for students. It is one of the best math learning apps.